Sunday, January 4, 2009

Jan 03 2009

A variety of photos for today! Today is the 50th anniversary of Alaska's statehood and there have been several celebratory events around the state all weekend.

Tonight, there were some major fireworks going off in downtown Anchorage. Rog and I drove in and went to the top of the Transit Center parking garage to view the spectacle. I'd brought along my camera, hoping to get some cool shots, but was sorely disappointed by the area we were in - there were a ton of other folks who had the same idea as we did and the exhaust from dozens of idling vehicles, plus the vents from the parking garage itself kept getting in the way of viewing the fireworks. Also, the high intensity lights gave everything a yellowish glow. I stood outside for most of the show, but eventually, my fingers got so cold (even with gloves on) that I nearly lost feeling in them, so returned to the car (it was -6F). Ironically, once inside, I rolled the window down partway and actually got some good shots -- guess I could've shot from inside the car the whole time! After the fireworks were over, it took us just about an hour to exit the garage. We were on the top/9th level and it was sloooow going to get to the bottom.

Before we get to the fireworks photos, I have a few others to post --

I finished off the last piece of homemade pecan pie that was leftover from Christmas. It was sooo good, but sooo rich!

Because of the extremely cold temps lately, Cully has a hard time being outside when she has to relieve herself. Her feet end up getting very cold and she kind of stiffens up and flops down to the ground. I call this condition, "Froze Toes." Consequently, I bought Cully a set of doggie booties the other day (we call them, "slippies") and now she does much better outside. They look rather funny, but they work!

A plate of yummy "Cathedral Cookies" - also leftover from Christmas. Made from my mom's recipe and o-so-tasty :)

While driving through downtown Anchorage to get to a parking garage, we were at a stoplight...Lo and behold, we spot this moose trotting along the crosswalk when his "walk" sign was lit up! And they say moose are "dumb animals!" Actually, they are - he was probably just going along with the traffic that was moving on the street ;)



This is my favorite shot of all the fireworks - it makes me think of being in space!













This was the temperature when we pulled onto our street tonight at 10:00 tonight. Pretty nippy, I'd say!

~ klb

No comments:

Post a Comment